Friday, May 11, 2012

3 Categories in Self-Evaluation


Everyone has their own way of grading themself as a dancer. Some just go by their overall feeling of how they did while some others tend to break it down such as they felt their facials drop or they lost energy at one point of the routine.

I enjoy being able to measure how I did with the overall dance. I love hearing feedback from other people to see what I can work on. But sometimes, there are those times when the feedback from others doesn't seem to click or it's honestly just useless for what you want. 

And if you're coming from the realm of "there's always room for improvement," you'll definitely always want some sort of feedback, and to be honest, not everyone's feedback is always gonna be useful to you. 

Giving honest feedback to yourself is just as good if not better. You can instantly grade yourself and immediately get yourself prepared on the improvements you want.

In giving yourself feedback, be brutally honest with yourself, but take it for what it is, don't sugar coat it or take it worse than what it is. It won't serve you in either case.

Here are 3 categories I use as measuring sticks in getting the overall feedback for myself as a dancer. These are categories I keep in mind during rehearsal. I give myself a grade (rating from 1-10 or a letter grade) so I can improve on each run through and each rehearsal. It allows me to be aware of what needs to be worked on instead of guessing. 

1. Energy.
We all are receptive to the energy we give one another. If we show up with the energy of anger or frustration, the people around us will definitely pick up on that. It's the same thing when it comes to performing on stage, are you performing a high energy routine, a smooth energy, or a swag energy? Being mindful of what energy you're giving off will contribute to the experience for the audience.

2. Performance
Each person may define performance differently, but I define performance to the facials in the routine. Again, depending on the energy being given off, is my face saying it as well? Or is it just a zombie-blank-face doing moves. I've seen many talented dancers with a dead face. It's like watching a zombie.

3. Execution.
Technique, knowledge of the dance. How well do you know each detail of the routine? How well do you know the music? This is practicing to the point that the dance is second nature to you.

"Master the music, master the instrument. Then forget all that shit and play."

With these 3 categories, I'm able to evaluate myself quickly and honestly. I take it for what it is and never blow it up out of proportion. With the information that I gather, I fix what needs work and move on.
We all are striving to progress and hone our craft. Getting feedback from others may not always be there. This is simply my own way of improving. It may or may not work for you, but I hope you've gotten some sort of insight.

If you've got  your own way of evaluating yourself, I'd love to hear it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow Us On Twitter Facebook Youtube