Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Keep on Keepin on

By Matt The 5hat

Honestly I got my inspiration to start bboying in high school from a few friends. I got to admit I wasn’t that good but I had that drive to be better and that’s what really matters. We would practice every other day after school at Glendale high even though I didn’t even go there. Then I went on my own separate journey and here I am now. I didn’t watch a lot of videos up until the past 2-3 years. I would watch documentaries like the freshest kids and style wars that talk about the history of it. “The freshest kids” is a documentary that talks about the history of bboying and a brief history lesson on popping and locking. ” Style wars” is a documentary about how graffiti ties in with bboying, because bboys back then were also graffiti artists. To better myself as a bboy outside the physical practicing I also watch small tutorials, recent battle videos, and interviews that feature pioneers of the dance and some sickest bboys in the game today.

As a bboy what keeps my passion going and inspiration up are my friends, my family, Fam Biz, and even Teen Groov. Other inspiration comes from old school bboys like Ken Swift and Alien Ness of the Mighty Zulu Kingz. Fam biz inspires me because when I see them doing good, it makes me want to do good it drives me to hit my moves and to rock beats. Teen Groov inspires me because they are our future and seeing young dancers gives me hope for hip hop not just bboying but hip hop in general. Watching interviews of pioneer bboys like Prince Ken Swift and Alien Ness give me more insight to how this dance should really be done.

For all upcoming bboys just starting out, bboys who forget why they do this, and even dancers in general remember why you dance. Don’t ever doubt yourself or say you can’t do a move, that’s how you stop yourself before you even try. For bboys though remember we get down to a certain beat and just don’t go in a circle to show cats your moves remember ride that beat.

Take care and keep on keepin on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow Us On Twitter Facebook Youtube