Friday, September 23, 2011

Summer Dance Recap Through The Eyes of @mattda5hat

By Matt Da 5hat

Hello again true believers! I hope everyone had an eventful and fun summer this year! Unfortunately, I didn't get to go to Battle of The Year LA and Freestyle Session but you can catch re cap videos on Strife TV's YouTube channel and YAKfilms YouTube channel. Much respect to Strife and YAKfilms for bringing us fresh footage.


One bboy event I did get to check out was the New Kids On The Block bboy jam in Eagle Rock hosted by Bboy Nes. He's been throwing these jams for years and its always a good platform to showcase up and coming bboys in the scene. That day Stylistic Kings crew out of Carson were the victors that day. Big UPS to Bboy Infinite. That jam also had a 32 man survivor series battle, so the competition was heavy for sure. The winner of that particular battle was bert from Knuckleheads Cali. Much respect to Khca always representing. @ProverseGoods was also in the house serving up fresh gear that day, I see you Barry that's what's up!

Another event I managed to check out was Hip Hop Iinternational 2011. Think about it, dancers from everywhere, who wouldn't want to be there. I got to watch the international bboy battles which was super sick because only days prior to that was Red Bulls BC One USA qualifiers in Chicago, in which some bboys at HHI were at prior to that day. Bboy Morris of Fallen Kings Crew won that day against other notable crews such as Boogie Brats and KnuckleHead Zoo. Even France was in the house too. The room was set up so dancers could warm up and get down. Fellow family bizness member Emeroy bernardo and myself actually sessioned with a kid that had multiple air flares and back flips, wow. Also during that day was the international all styles one on one that myself, Emeroy Bernardo, and Marc Miranda also participated in which was an amazing learning experience. So many dancers, much respect. From the look and feel of the crowd for sure they enjoyed watching battles. That week in Vegas will never be forgotten. Much respect to my crew Family Bizness for representing tough at Hip Hop International though.

One jam I managed to enter with my friends, the Zombie Hunterz Bboy Crew, was Rock City 10. This event was thrown by Bboy Lil Rock of Killafornia, in Fullerton,CA . Twenty crews showcased, but only 8 were selected. It was really sick watching Instant Noodles battle it out showing everyone they're still a crew to be taken seriously.

But on another note, I managed to compete with Emeroy at the last Alhambra Hot Spot Bboy 2 vs 2. Everyone came out with their best that day, even the young ones. I must admit though I think I blacked out the minute I heard the beat drop because I think the music took over my body. But that day Family Bizness came out on top representing the first real dance of hip hop. You can bet that day I was all smiles and cat daddy. Fam Biz all day everyday, twice on mothers day.


Sincerely, Matt Da 5hat

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow Us On Twitter Facebook Youtube