Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Road to Urban Street Jam Pt II

By Emeroy Bernardo

A lot's been happening these past few months.
I was recently hired at Sassoon Film Design over at Santa Monica working from 6AM-2PM and pretty soon 5AM-3PM. But I'll get into that another time... maybe. 
Teen Groov and Fam Biz are competing at Urban Street Jam which is a little more than a week away.
Stephanie and I have been working vigorously to put their costumes together. The process is super exciting as taxing as it is. It's even more exciting to see it when it comes to life and people put it on.



These costumes are probably the most ambitious yet for both these teams. I said at the end of 2010 that I wanted to push ourselves artistically for our upcoming sets. And I love the concepts and ideas we came up with. Now it's a matter of execution.

I've never been the kind who takes costuming in a routine seriously, but I am seriously learning how much it can help sell the routine EVEN more. After hours upon hours dancing and moving from one side of the floor to the other, it can be something that boosts the teams energy. And I love how excited some of the dancers got after showing them what they'd be wearing. Dope choreography, formations, and music is essential, but those are just parts of the elements of what makes a routine look dope. Sure costumes don't HAVE to be a huge part the routine, but they certainly do help set the tone. And I think with a little more push to get the right outfit and feel for it, it will do more than just set the tone, it'll be what enhances the dancers.

Come check out Teen Groov's Set, "ERA" and FamBiz's Set, "HEROES" at Urban Street Jam over at the Anaheim Marriot Saturday, March 5th!

P.S.
Make sure to get yourself a FamBiz "Witness" shirt while your at it! Support and show some love!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow Us On Twitter Facebook Youtube