Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Dancer Recognized – Stephanie Hagberg

By Christian Jordan Capili

     Another dancer, another person to read and know of! This time it’s Jayvee’s own and fellow FamBiz member Stephanie Hagberg, an instructor for Jayvee Dance Center, a prominent member of FamBiz, and a well driven and motivated dancer that has allowed herself to grow over the past 2 years since joining the dance community. Knowing styles such as Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary, Military, Coed, Ballet, Tap, Locking, Waacking, and Breaking has really expanded her knowledge for the arts.

     Soon to be 21 and a Glendale native, she is also an alumnus of Glendale High School and was also a part of the Glendale High School Coed & All-male Dance Team. To further expand on who she is, this was a statement regarding to her experience as a dancer from the beginning:

     “My first ever dance team was Glendale High School's nationally ranked Dance/Drill team. My first adult or "collegiate" dance team was Family Bizness. Back when I joined they were E.S.U.I. (elements of style under the influence), and I had heard about them while I was in high school. I heard that it was mostly alumni from GHS dance/drill and that they danced at competitions throughout Southern California and even Vegas, but I never gave much thought into the idea of dancing with them. The year after I graduated from GHS, I coached the junior varsity team. At the end of year show, the alumni always do a routine, and during one of the rehearsals, one of the alumni who danced on ESUI told me I should join and that I had gotten really good. So after all formalities, I went to a rehearsal and danced with them and learned a routine, and at the end of the night, they had me do the routine side by side with one of the veterans of the team in front of everyone, which was VERY nerve-wrecking. From there, they asked me to continue dancing with them, and the rest is history. The experience has been so amazing. This team is truly my family. It is the one thing that I look forward to the most during the week and while I'm working. I know that I have found my place and my home, and I'm not ever giving that up.”

     A question many some dancers may often ask is, “What inspired her to dance?” and “What keeps her motivated?” I found myself asking this same exact question, and when I posed this question, her answer was quite endearing and inspiring.

Inspiration:
     “My first inspiration was actually my mom. I knew that she danced before she had me and even when she was pregnant with me. I wanted to do the thing that brought her so much joy as a young adult. I tried auditioning for the YMCA Dance team in 6th grade, but didn't make it and then I tried auditioning for Cheer in middle school, but didn't make it again. I was pretty sure that I was giving it up and just decided to live a normal life, but for the night that 8th graders went to Glendale High School to see what it was like and what to expect, I saw the dance/drill team perform, and I was instantly hooked. I went to their annual year-end show, the revue, and knew I had to be a part of it, so I auditioned, made it, danced and competed for my four years of high school, was captain my senior year, and ended up coaching them once I graduated.”

Motivation:
     “The major thing that motivates me to dance is the way it makes me feel. I can get away from everything that is going on in my life. No matter how crazy or hectic my work load is, the moment I start dancing, it goes flying out the door and I don't even think about it until I get home. I just love it. Dancing is what allowed me to feel more confident about myself. Sometimes I'm still a bit quiet, but if you saw how I was before I started dancing, you wouldn't even believe that it was me. I rarely conversed with anyone and I did not like going out with friends or talking in front of people. Dancing changed my life for the better, and I want to share that with everyone.



     There are many new dancers looking to get better every day; whether it's taking classes or looking up a video on YouTube. But I believe nothing beats advice and knowledge one dance can give to another. And as being part of the Jayvee Dance Center faculty, her advice towards future/new dancers was stated as well:

     “Well, I work with different age groups, I teach 2-5 year olds ballet and tap. I feel so blessed to teach them because I know I'm shaping the future dancers. I do my best to instill the mannerisms they will need once they are professional dancers. I teach them to work hard, while still remembering to have fun. I teach ages 4-adult for hip hop, and although not all of them are serious about becoming professional, I still teach that value of hard work and determination. In terms of directing Teen Groov, I want them to understand that talent can only get you so far, and that it means nothing unless you are also a well-rounded person. This means everything from treating people equally, being open to learning new things, and being good at home or school.


     For any other dancer out there trying to find their place in the dance world, be your own person. Take note of what those who are successful do, but don't copy them. Use their successes to better yourself and find your niche. No matter how hard it may get, don't give up. And don't ever let anyone or anything stop you from doing what you love.”

     Her dedication and commitment has not only brought her up the ranks in Jayvee, but in Family Bizness as well, She is currently the Organizational Director and one of the Core Members of Family Bizness that help lead the team. I asked her what Family Bizness meant to her and she stated:

     “Family Bizness is exactly what it sounds like. We are a family that makes dance our bizness.
I know that most of us have known each other since like elementary or middle or high school, so that in itself is a great definition.”

     Stephanie Hagberg has shown the dedication any dancer shows, a person who will excel and thrive to become the best they can be and she proves this as every journey she faces Stephanie has always grew from the experience. A dancer like her has earned the respect of many who have witnessed her, as it is rare to find dancers who truly put the time and effort to really become a great dancer.

Teams Stephanie represents or has represented:
FamBiz, Breed, Culture Shock LA, Soul Fresh, Encore, T2P & Sangeles

Breed
Culture Shock Los Angeles
Encore
Sangeles


Want more dancer profiles?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow Us On Twitter Facebook Youtube