Friday, November 5, 2010

"Don't let yesterday take up too much of today."

Something that I used to wonder as a dancer back when I was in my high school’s dance team and first starting up FamBiz (back then known as E.S.U.I.) was why some rehearsals or performances would go so well one moment, and then not so much the next. I know it was frustrating for the coaches and captains, and was sure as hell frustrating for me.
I guess this can relate to a lot of movies sequels, most of them will never be as good as the first.

It came to understanding that no matter how good the product is done before, the next one may or may not be as good as the previous, if not more. People want consistency. And that’s what I believe a lot of us want. People can only stomach a roller coaster for so longer before throwing up.


One thing I definitely catch with dancers, even myself, after getting casted to a piece is that some of them get comfortable, and by the time the next phase of putting the routine together comes, the level of intensity that was there before was no longer existed. The minute I get too comfortable I eventually start getting a bit lazy and lose a lot of the edge I had prior to casting, and I know I’m not alone in this. The hard work is never done even thought we’d like to think it is. There’s always the next step. Just because one performance was good, doesn’t mean the next one will be, and just because you failed one time, doesn’t mean you’ll fail again the next time.

Success and failure can be both motivating and paralyzing.

Success can motivate you because it let’s you know you did something right, but at the same time can paralyze you if you get too comfy and let it get to your ego.

Failure can teach and motivate you on what you can do to grow, but can also be paralyzing if you fear of failing again.

If people know you’re great and talented, they’ll expect you to be at that level all the time.

We all have our good and bad days, we’re only human, but don’t let your prior accomplishments or disappointments distract you from reaching your goal. Let your recent past be your teacher so you can figure out where you need to go. Understanding of how you came short or succeeded before will give you hints on how to do better now so you can succeed for potential opportunities. But remember, dwelling in the past too long will never get you to the future.

People of success never get too content with a current or previous victory. They relish the moment and then it’s on to the next one. Knowing full well that yesterday’s success is past, and tomorrow’s opportunity can become today’s victory.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect

Follow Us On Twitter Facebook Youtube